It’s spring and perhaps it just finished raining where you are. Today I’d like to share a perfect book for spring day.
AFTER THE RAIN
By Rebecca Koehn (author) and Simone Krüger (illustrator)
Beaming Books 2020
Picture book for ages 3-6
Themes: rainy day play, conflict resolution, friendship
Setting: home and yard
The story begins…
Plink. The rain is over.
Levi is overjoyed when the rain stops and he can put on his gear, grab his boat, and go outside to play. He joyfully splashes in the puddles, watches his boat float along in the water, and rescues it from the gutter grate. But then, a neighbor comes over and disrupts his play. A water fight ensues until they come to a resolution and figure out how to cooperate and play together.
Why you need to add AFTER THE RAIN to your book collection:
- This is a perfect example of a true picture book where the illustrations tell part of the story along with the lyrical and poetic text.
- The book is fun to read aloud with verb phrases like “Water rushes, roils, ripples” and “Blast! Boom! Bash!”
- Children often have conflicts when they play and these two diverse characters figure out how to work out their differences without adult intervention.
- Who doesn’t love putting on rain boots and jumping into puddles?
- This darling read-aloud will prompt discussions about how to resolve problems and get along with others.
Rebecca’s publisher, Beaming Books, has a resource page of indoor activities for children to accompany AFTER THE RAIN, which will come in handy these days as families shelter at home.