I love sharing new releases and today’s is extra special!
Take a look at this beautiful cover. Doesn’t it make you want to go outside and fly a kite?
The story inside is beautiful, too.
KINDNESS IS A KITE STRING: The Uplifting Power of Empathy
By Michelle Schaub (author) and Claire LaForte (illustrator)
Cardinal Rule Press April, 2021
Picture Book for ages 4-8 but will be enjoyed by all ages
Setting: home and community
Themes: Kindness, empathy, friendship, community
The story begins…
Hug a special someone
When you greet the morning light.
Kindness is like sunshine.
It starts the day off right.
In this timeless story, a young boy begins his day with a hug. This simple act of kindness spreads throughout the day as others pass kindness along. The story begins at home but becomes a journey as kindness spreads from person to person at school, a senior’s home, the neighborhood, and eventually connects the entire community. Written as a poem using similes and metaphors, each verse shines a light on ways to be kind and shows how each affects others. The joyful illustrations fill the pages with diverse groups of children and adults helping one another.
KINDNESS IS A KITE STRING: The Uplifting Power of Empathy is a gentle reminder of how simple actions can make a great difference.
Why you need to add KINDNESS IS A KITE STRING: The Uplifting Power of Empathy to your shelves –
- The lyrical, poetic text is a delight to read aloud.
- The colorful illustrations depict the diversity of families, schools, and communities. Children will enjoy repeated readings as they discover new details on each page.
- Each act of kindness is something that children can easily do such as opening doors, sharing books, visiting seniors, and showing forgiveness.
- The book includes pre-reading questions and thoughtful back matter explaining how writers use similes and metaphors.
- The world needs kindness and the message of this book is that it begins with each of us.
I love this page from the kindness journal included in the guide: