My Breakfast with Jesus: Worshipping God Around the World
by Tina Cho (author) and Guy Wolek (illustrator)
Harvest House 2020
picture book ages 4-8
Setting – The World!
Themes – Prayer, breakfast, diversity
Are you dreaming of traveling somewhere? I am and fortunately can still go places with books. Today we’re taking a field trip around the world to join children for breakfast!
Summary: For more than 2,000 years, people have started their day with a delicious meal in their bellies and the love of Jesus in their hearts. From bacon and eggs in the heart of North America to fresh baked bread in Antarctica, believers from each continent gather in the morning to share good food and conversation, giving thanks to God for all the wonderful things He’s done. (Amazon)
This sweet picture book is based on the story in John 21 where Jesus comes and feeds his disciples. From this long ago meal, readers travel around the world and see how children begin their day. The bright and cheerful illustrations show children of all ethnicities beginning the day with traditional meals and a lovely breakfast blessing refrain.
Why you should add My Breakfast with Jesus to your bookshelves:
- This is a great selection to introduce children to the culture and customs children who live in places with different climates and geography in a fun and unusual way.
- The biblical concepts of sharing a meal and prayer are uplifting and relatable to young children.
- This book offers many opportunities for discussion about the global church.The moist poignant spread shows children and their families in an underground church in China. Such a good reminder to be thankful for the freedoms we have.
- Children will want to try the foods that other children enjoy and will be surprised and charmed by the different meals.
- Most importantly, My Breakfast with Jesus is a beautiful picture book that celebrates diversity but also shows that we are all one.
We have many Dutch friends who serve Hagelslag. It is easy enough for children to make on their own.