Welcome to today’s bookish field trip! I’m so excited to share this new release from my Cardinal Rule Press Publishing sibling.
LILA LOU’S LITTLE LIBRARY: A GIFT FROM the HEART
by Nikki Bergstresser (author) and Sejung Kim (illustrator)
Cardinal Rule Press Publishing 2021
A Field Trip to a Little Free Library
Themes: Books, Generosity, Problem Solving
The story begins:
Lila Lou loved to read. Morning, noon, and night, her nose was buried in a book.
From this first sentence on, I knew that Lila Lou was a character after my heart.
Lila Lou loves to read and get lost in her books – literally! Books are taking over the house and her mother even finds her reading in a fort made of books! When her mother explains, again, that there are too many books, Lila Lou playfully suggests getting a bigger house but knows she has to do something. She figures out a way to share her books by creating a little library for the neighborhood. Not only does her generosity bring the neighborhood together, Lila Lou finds out that she also has new supply of books to read as everyone exchanges and shares their books.
Why you need to add LILA LOU’S LITTLE LIBRARY: A GIFT FROM the HEART to your book shelves:
- Lila Lou’s Little Library tells the story of a determined book lover who is a clever and creative problem solver. I love her glasses!
- Not only is this a wonderful story for book lovers but the actual book is an interactive delight. There’s glitter on the cover, fabulous end pages, and the reader gets to turn the book vertically to read one spread and get the full view of Lili Lou’s collection.
- The bright and cheerful illustrations show a diverse community and the fun text with Spanish vocabulary interspersed throughout. Non-Spanish speakers can figure word meanings through the context.
- There are pre-reading tips for parents and teachers.
- The backmatter includes suggestions for ways to build a family library and different ways to share books as well as a glossary of Spanish words used.
- Lila Lou’s Little Library a perfect read-aloud for families, classrooms, and library story hour.
Author Nikki Bergstresser and her family enjoy challenging themselves by building amazing structures with LEGOs. Take a look at this incredible LEGO mosaic they made! It is over three feet tall and will accompany Nikki on her author visits.
And… here’s the book in my Little Free Library. I know whoever finds it will be a happy reader.