In our house bedtime was a marathon. What should have been an easy, calm routine became, shall we say, wild. It’s a challenge getting four kids to bed but, my husband was really the instigator. He took his role as the official bedtime reader seriously and liked to dramatize every story in the pile. Finally, when all was quiet, I’d go into the room and find them all asleep on a bed together. Today I’m sharing a book that was released just in time for Father’s Day. I wish this one had been in our repertoire:
By Sharon Giltrow (author) and Katrin Dreiling (illustrator)
EK Books May 2020
Picture book for ages 3-7
Themes: bedtime, reading, father/child relationships
Picture book for ages: 3-7
The story begins-
When you see your daddy rub
His eyes and stifle a yawn,
Announce, “Bedtime, Daddy!”
It’s bedtime and Daddy Bear doesn’t want to go to bed. He cries and dawdles through the bedtime routine as his bear cub encourages him to put on his pajamas, brush his teeth, and get into bed. Daddy has excuses, fears of monsters, and wants another story. In a twist, all is well and the reader is in on the joke.
Why you need to add Bedtime Daddy to your bookshelf:
- We all need a laugh at bedtime. Bedtime Daddy is hilarious.
- The bright, child-like illustrations are delightful. I love the expressions on Daddy’s face. My favorite is the picture in the bathroom. Kid humor at its best.
- Children will see themselves in the pages as they read about familiar bedtime routines with a twist
- Written in a “how to” format, Bedtime Daddy provides a fun way to learn about sequencing. Children can discuss and compare their own bedtime routines.
- Bedtime Daddy is silly and fun but it also has warmth as the love between Daddy Bear and his cub is evident.
- We all need new bedtime books!
Here is your very own Bedtime Bingo. (just copy and past the image)