As a child, I spent hours immersed in the D’Aulaire’s mythology books. I loved reading these incredible stories and was amazed by the antics of the gods and goddesses. Mythology was the foundation for my love of stories so I am thrilled by this a new take on one of the most fascinating characters in mythology.
LITTLE MEDUSA’S HAIR DO-LEMMA
By Jennifer Buchet (author) and Cassie Chancy (illustrator)
Clear Fork Publishing, 2021
Picture book for ages 4-8
Themes: mythology, problem solving
The story begins-
Little Medusa is delighted to receive Addie, her very first snake.
She finally has serpentine hair, and could change things to stone with a stare.
Unfortunately, the thrill doesn’t last long. Little Medusa quickly realizes that she is dealing with the ultimate bad hair day when her snake gives hissy kisses and makes her skin crawl.
Although Mama Medusa assures her that she’ll get used to Addie, Little Medusa isn’t convinced. Addie causes all sorts of trouble at school and Little Medusa isn’t keen on turning her friends to stone.
Little Medusa thinks of many different types of hair that would be better including seaweed, leafy braids, and a mane like a centaur. She puts Addie on a shelf but soon realized all the things that make her snake special.
In a clever ending, Little Medusa figures out a solution. It may not be the Gorgon way, but it is perfect for Little Medusa and Addie.
You need to add LITTLE MEDUSA’S HAIR DO-LEMMA to your book shelves because
- Little Medusa is a character that kids will love. She’s spunky, compassionate, and finds a creative way to solve her problem.
- the text is filled with luscious language like “hissy-kisses,” “boa bonnet,” and “one pythonic problem” which make this a great read-aloud.
- This book provides a fun and clever way to introduce children to mythology. Characters like Gorgons, Dryads, and Centaurs are featured and explained in the back matter. Pair this with a book of mythology and children can discover this rich world of stories.
- The kid-friendly illustrations are lively and include a diverse group of children.
- Finally, this book has humor and heart. Kids will be rooting for Little Medusa and Addie!
Mr. Ernie highly recommends LITTLE MEDUSA’S HAIR DO-LEMMA!
Can you get through this maze?