Is there anything more fun for children than playing in the puddles left after a rainstorm? A big SPLASH is so satisfying. We don’t get much rain here in Central California so, when we do, it’s a big deal. Fortunately, a “March Miracle” rain coincided with the launch of Sunday Rain and I’d like to share this wonderful book which is a celebration of friendship and the creative possibilities of rain puddles.
Written by Rosie J. Pova (author) and Amariah Rauscher (illustrator)
Lantana Publishing March 2021
Picture Book for children ages 3-7
Setting – An urban neighborhood
Themes – friendship, imaginative play, overcoming fear
The story begins…
It started with a WHOOSH from the wind and
A KNOCK from the branch weighing down on the window.
Elliott put down his book and peeked outside.
Aren’t you wondering what he sees outside?
Elliot and his family have recently moved to the neighborhood and he is unsure of venturing out. But when the rain stops, Elliot hears laughter and, looking out of his window again, sees children playing and splashing in “oodles of puddles.” Then one of them looks up. With his mother’s gentle encouragement, he steps outside.
Soon he finds himself in the midst of an exciting adventure with new friends. Their imaginations take over as they deal with a dragon and play on an island.
The day comes full circle with a satisfied Elliot back inside of his home ready for supper, his book, and an owl hooting outside of his window.
Why you should add SUNDAY RAIN to your bookshelf:
- This book is filled with the deep emotions that children experience when faced with change – shyness, longing, and the victory they enjoy when overcoming fears.
- The language is absolutely beautiful and begs to be read aloud. Sound words are emphasized in large font which carries the action.
- The soft watercolor illustrations gently show the warmth of an interracial family, the rain-soaked streets, and the joyfulness of new friendships being made.
- Sunday Rain shares the wonder of imagination, the importance of play, and the sights and fresh smells of being outside after a rainstorm.
- This really is a special book celebrating storybooks, friendship, courage, imagination, diversity, and family love.
Get a copy of SUNDAY RAIN and read it aloud. Don’t forget to jump in puddles when you can!
Here’s something fun to do After the Rain- just copy and paste.