Back-to-school time is here and along with new shoes and backpacks, our little ones are filled with emotions ranging from excitement to worry. Many children wonder about their teacher, friends, and what their school day will be like. One of the best ways to ease a child’s unease is by sharing books that address their concerns and show them that they are not alone in having these feelings. Today I am so excited to be a top on the blog tour sharing a newly released picture book that is just right for beginning the new school year.
LITTLE MOLE GOES TO SCHOOL
By Glenys Nellist (author) and Sally Garland (illustrator)
Beaming Books 2022
Picture book for ages 4-7
Themes: school, feelings and emotions, new experiences
The story begins…
It was Little Mole’s First Day of School.
But Little Mole was worried.
“Little Mole, whatever is wrong?” asked Mama
as they made their way along the winding path
that led to Woodland School.
Little Mole is nervous. He doesn’t know the alphabet and his eyesight and hearing aren’t so keen. Will he be able to succeed?
With Mama’s encouragement, hugs, and kisses blown, Little Mole enters school where he meets his cheerful teacher and sees his familiar friends. But he continues to worry. Rabbit can hear so well. Squirrel has sharp eyesight. Lark has a lovely voice and sings the ABCs. Little Mole wishes there was something special that he could do.
When the classmates find themselves stuck in a precarious situation, it is Little Mole who solves the problem with his special skills. As Little Mole shyly explains, “We all used what we’re good at to help each other!”
Why you should add LITTLE MOLE GOES TO SCHOOL to your bookshelves:
- The child-friendly text is gentle and wise, helping children to see themselves in the character of Little Mole.
- Mama is encouraging but doesn’t solve the problem. Her wise words help Little Mole understand that everyone can use what they are good at to help each other.
- The characters are good friends to each other – kind and compassionate as they work together.
- The art is soft and warm with each character’s personality perfectly illustrated.
- Back matter explains facts about each woodland animal in the story highlighting their special abilities.
- The book includes a page of advice written by a licensed child and family therapist with suggestions to help children who are anxious about starting school.
I predict that LITTLE MOLE GOES TO SCHOOL will become a school time classic.
This is the newest of three picture books featuring Little Mole. To learn more about these and other wonderful books written by Glenys Nellist, visit her website.
Download here for a free activity pack which includes coloring pages and games.